The University of the Witwatersrand (WITS) online application for 2021 has commenced. So we’ll bring you the breakdown of the University of the Witwatersrand (WITS) admission application process.
The management of the University of the Witwatersrand (WITS) is inviting applications for interested and suitably qualified students (South Africans and International) for admission into undergraduate and postgraduate programmes for the 2021 academic year.
Before applying, see the University of Witwatersrand courses available for 2021 admission.
How to Apply to the University of Witwatersrand
Step 1 – Apply Online
To apply online, go to: www.wits.ac.za/applications/
- You may apply for a maximum of three programmes (the order of choice does not matter).
- If you apply for two programmes within one Faculty, you are advised to apply for one programme in a less restricted faculty (e.g. Humanities, Commerce or Science).
- Try to keep your options open, especially when applying for programmes in Faculties such as Health Sciences or Engineering.
- Do not enter the duration of the programme. You are applying to go into 1st year of study.
- A non-refundable application fee of R100 for South African citizens, and R700 for foreign citizens, is required.
WITS Application Closing dates
30 June 2021 – Faculty of Health Sciences (all programmes); Bachelor of Architecture; Bachelor of Audiology, Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology; BA Film and TV
30 September 2021 – All other University programmes; Residence applications.
Does your degree programme have additional selection procedures?
Some degrees have additional selection requirements such as portfolio and essay submissions, auditions or National Benchmark Tests. Please click on Additional Forms
below to see if this applies to you.
Pay Application Fee
- Non-refundable application fee of R100 for South African citizens
- Non-refundable application fee for foreign citizens of R700
- Payments to be made before closing dates.
- Use your T Number or Person Number as a reference
How to pay for WITS Application Fee
Deposit the exact amount into the University’s Application Fee account:
- Standard Bank, Account name: Wits University – Application Fees. Current Account Number: 200 346 385, Branch code: Braamfontein 004 805. CI Number 074A. (International payment swift code: SBZAZAJJ). Use your person/student number as a reference.
- Pay by cash or credit card at the Wits Fees Office, Ground Floor, Solomon Mahlangu House (Senate House), Braamfontein Campus East, Jorissen Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, South Africa. Use your person/student number as a reference.
- EFT – Use your T Number or person/student number as the reference.
Step 1 – Acknowledgement of Application
- You will receive an email from the University acknowledging receipt of your application.
- The acknowledgement email will contain a person number (which will become your student number).
- All records of correspondence from the University will be available on the student self-service portal https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- Check the status of your application and to-do items on the student self-service portal regularly.
- Keep your contact details up to date on self-service.
To view all correspondence generated on the Self Service Portal, go to the Main Menu > Self Service > Wits Student Self Service > Communication History
To check your Application Status on the Self Service goes to the Main Menu > Self Service > Student Centre > Admissions > View Academic Application Status.
Step 2 – Upload Supporting Documents
- If you did not upload supporting documentation at the time of application, you can still do so via the student self-service portal: https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- Log in with your personal number and the first six digits of your ID.
- Current Matriculants: Upload your final Grade 11 Results. The results must be certified and bear your school stamp.
- Already Matriculated: Upload certified copies of all your matric certificates/foreign school leaving certificates. A physical/hard copy of the certificates, originally certified, must be submitted to the Wits Student Enrolment Centre (SEnC), Ground Floor, Solomon Mahlangu House (Senate House), Wits University via hand delivery, registered mail or courier.
- Other Tertiary Institutions: Upload a certified copy of academic records for ALL tertiary registrations, inclusive of statement/certificate of good conduct, stamped by the institution’s registrar.