IIE’s Varsity College Recruitment 2023/2024
Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for IIE’s Varsity College Recruitment 2023/2024
Job Title: Expression Of Interest: Lecturers (Mechanical & Electrical Engineering)
Varsity College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (IIE). The IIE enjoys the reputation of being at the forefront of private higher education in South Africa and is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) to provide higher education qualifications accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
IIE Varsity College Durban, Westville is seeking outstanding appointees in the field of Electrical & Electronic and Mechanical Engineering to strengthen the teaching and research capabilities in the School of Engineering.
The primary purpose of this position is the development and delivery of effective teaching on qualifications and all associated academic activities such as student engagement and support that will promote student success and learning. This includes responsibility for modules from conceptualization through to assessment and responsibility for an integrated, effective curriculum within qualifications. Participation in scholarship such as research is also required. Effective lecturers need to be active members of the institutional academic community, contributing to and participating in the development, effective governance, and reputation development of the institution.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
- Responsibility for allocated modules and qualifications from the point of conceptualisation to assessment and including but not limited to review and the development of appropriate learning materials and pathways;
- Participation in curriculum development and renewal in the School;
- Engagement in review and improvement and quality assurance activities of the IIE’s Faculty of Engineering, Science, and Health.
- Adherence to institutional norms, standards, policies, and processes; and
- Development of academic material and assessments on programmes as required, including, but not limited to, the roles of developer, module leader, a moderator or equivalent for the Central Academic Team (CAT).
- Lecture/practicum preparation, delivery and all related teaching and assessment activities across the required modes of delivery;
- Marking of assessments and timeous and constructive feedback to students;
- Development of ICE activities, learning material such as manuals, assessment instruments and rubrics and memoranda as required;
- Participation in peer review of the marking and lecturing of other lecturers; and
- Participation in lecturing quality assurance and development associated with own teaching.
- Lecturer Development & Support
- Work with Independent Contractors on their programme/s to support the quality and equity of teaching and assessment;
- Conducting peer reviews in programmes of speciality;
- Act as a resource to The IIE on modules and programs of expertise;
- Support the adoption of institutional teaching and learning strategies and approaches and implement in own teaching and learning;
- Assisting in any required research related to teaching and learning;
- Involvement in lecturer orientation/briefing/forums;
- Involvement in student orientation and open days;
- Act as a panel member in the selection and recruitment process of Independent Contractors; and
- Mentoring of new lecturers.
Student Development & Support
- Championing/leading and managing academic development and support for a specific programme and its students;
- Track individual student academic performance across the programmes in collaboration with the designated teaching and learning support team, including Academic Support Coordinators;
- Track student enrolment and success rates and work with the Teaching & Learning Specialist to put the necessary interventions in place to improve success, retention, and completion rates;
- Assist where required with the experiential learning of students in their programme;
- Conduct student support interventions where required.
- Appropriate academic administration as required (related to student development and support).
Research & Scholarship
- All designated academic employees are required to promote a culture of scholarship within their practice, discipline and campus/team and are also required to contribute towards The IIE achieving its annual research output targets.
- Individual research output unit/s will be set in consultation with your line manager on an annual basis (Informed by The IIE 018 Academic and Research Conditions of Service).
- Minimum BEng/BIng/BSc (Eng) and a Master’s degree in the relevant discipline.
- Professional registration with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) would be highly advantageous.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience gained from similar higher education role at a recognised tertiary institution.
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Demonstrated capability to lecture, conduct tutorials and seminars at tertiary level in an effective manner in the core courses stipulated at the highest academic level;
- Expertise in learning management systems (LMSs);
- Competencies in curriculum design and development;
- Up-to-date knowledge of curriculum areas being taught;
- Demonstrated capacity to design, set and evaluate assessments at the appropriate level for the courses stipulated;
- A record of research and publication in scholarly journals;
- Ability to mentor and supervise academic activities.
- Demonstrated capacity to coordinate modules, and conduct relevant module administration activities;
- Capacity to engage in inter-campus and inter-institutional team academic and/or community activities;
- Professional membership may be required;
- High level of communication skills in verbal, written and electronic modes;
- Proven high-level administrative abilities; and
- Active participation in accreditation proceedings for the Council on Higher Education and the Engineering Council of South Africa.
Package & Remuneration
How to Apply
Interested applicants should kindly visit the company website for more details and submit the application(s).