Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for Merchant West Recruitment 2023/2024.
Merchant West is one of the largest privately owned financial institutions in South Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the following positions below:
Job Title: Structured Finance: Middle Office Analyst
MWSF are a division of Merchant West, the business unit was established to arrange, structure and manage the funding requirements of the Merchant West group (“group funding”) and our clients (“structured solutions”).
Over a 24-year period, Merchant West developed long-term partnerships and established a strong track record with its investors and the market as a whole. As a privately held, independent, non-bank financial services business, Merchant West makes use of a wholesale funding model, our direct investor relationships and inhouse expertise enable us to raise capital directly from life companies, asset managers, banks and alternative providers of capital.
MWSF design and develop funding solutions that are tailormade to our clients. We leverage our direct investor relationships and inhouse structuring expertise to raise capital from a variety of funding channels. The MWSF offering is further enhanced by Merchant West’s balance sheet, deep credit underwriting experience, industry and asset expertise as well as its operational excellence.
Our offering is grounded in our purpose to “improve the wellbeing of our clients” and our solutions are designed with both clients and in investors in mind.
MWSF mandate to:
- optimally fund the Merchant West Holdings Group of companies (“MWH”), while concurrently managing risk, the cost of funding, diversifying the investor base and funding channels; and
- identify and bring to market win-win structured solutions opportunities that are aligned to the interests and requirements of all stakeholders (clients, suppliers, MWH, investors).
Each of these elements are complimentary to one another, they are interdependent, resulting in synergies in their combined execution.
To enable and support the fulfillment of our mandate, MWSF needs to ensure:
- that MWH has access to sufficient liquidity and term debt from the external debt capital markets, for both organic and acquisitive growth, on favourable market terms and conditions.
- that transactions are originated and structured to raise debt capital funding that meets the bespoke requirements of clients and institutional investors.
- the effective distribution/placement of debt originated by MWH and its clients to institutional and other debt investors operating within the local and international debt capital markets.
- that robust relationships are built with internal business units, investors, clients and suppliers that support the origination of debt capital.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Middle Office Analyst will be responsible for providing transaction support and middle office functions. The role involves preparing external presentations, internal credit papers, external credit information, data analysis, and financial analysis. The analyst will assist the team in facilitating conceptualization, design, structuring, and implementation of debt financing transactions. Additionally, the candidate will review and prepare external and internal reporting, monitor transaction and regulatory compliance, and manage transactions post-implementation.
The Middle Office Analyst will report to the MD of MWSF and support the group funding (under the leadership of the Senior Structured Finance Transactor) and structured solutions function (under the leadership of the Senior Structured Finance Deal Maker).
- Provide transaction support and middle office functions to ensure smooth operations and efficient execution of debt financing transactions.
- Prepare external presentations, internal credit papers, external credit information, data analysis, and financial analysis to support decision-making processes.
- Assist the team in conceptualisation, design, structuring, facilitation and implementation of debt financing transactions by conducting market research, financial modelling, and feasibility analysis.
- Review and prepare accurate and timely external and internal reporting, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and internal policies.
- Monitor transaction and regulatory compliance by staying updated with relevant laws, regulations, and industry best practices.
- Manage transactions post-implementation by conducting periodic reviews, tracking performance, and addressing any operational or compliance issues that arise.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders, such as front office teams, risk management, finance, legal, and compliance, to ensure effective communication and coordination throughout the transaction lifecycle.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of industry trends, market conditions, and regulatory changes related to debt financing transactions.
- Participate in cross-functional projects and initiatives to improve operational efficiency, risk management, and compliance processes within the middle office function.
Develop and maintain strong relationships with external counterparts, such as clients, regulators, and service providers, to ensure smooth transaction execution and compliance.
Desired Experience & Qualification
- B.Com degree (Essential)
- CA (SA) (Beneficial)
- CFA Level 3 (Beneficial)
- Clean Credit Record (Essential)
- 2 to 3 years of experience in corporate credit and/or structured finance (DCM, leveraged finance. Etc.)
- Knowledge of securitization structures.
- Familiar with credit underwriting fundamentals, financial statement analysis, financial modeling, National Credit Act, JSE listing requirements, securitization regulations, term sheets, and secured and unsecured borrowing and lending agreements.
Package & Remuneration
How to Apply
Interested applicants should kindly visit the website to apply.