For the safety of road users, there are some stipulated rules and regulations that all motorists must follow. To ensure that these rules are adhered to, drivers are issued with licenses. One of such licenses is the learner’s licence.
However, the big question is how do I apply for learner’s licence online? The online learner’s licence application portal has made it easy for anyone to conveniently apply. The online licence booking has made it smoother and simpler to ensure that there are order and safety on the roads.
What is Learners License?
A learner’s license is a permit serves as proof that one has the basic understanding of the stipulated rules of the road. A learner’s licence is also a measure of a motorist’s ability to drive particular vehicles. This permit is only valid for 24 months and cannot be extended. Apart from that, there is so much information about learners licence booking online that might come in handy.
All holders of learners’ license are only allowed to drive only under the supervision of a licensed driver. If the category of vehicle you are driving requires a professional driving permit, the licensed driver must also hold a professional driving permit.
Types of Learner’s Licences
Basically, there are three different types of learner’s licenses issued for the various categories of motor vehicle:
- Code 1: This is for a motor cycle with or without a sidecar, motor tricycle or quadricycle. You must be 16 years or older on the date of the test in order to apply if the motorcycle’s engine does not exceed 125 cc and 18 years or older if it exceeds 125 cc.
- Code 2: This is for a motor vehicle, including a minibus, bus or goods vehicle, with a gross vehicle mass not exceeding 3,500kg. You must be 17 years or older on the date of the test in order to apply.
- Code 3: This is for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle mass exceeding 3,500kg. You must be 18 years or older on the date of the test in order to apply.
Documents Needed to Apply for Learners Licence
There are some vital documents that are needed at the driving licensing testing centre (DLTC). Documents Document to be handed to the DLTC:
- an identity document (ID)
- two identical black-and-white ID photographs (before you have photographs taken you should confirm with the DLTC how many photos they require)
- a booking fee.
- Proof of postal and residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
- If you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your postal and residential address
How to Apply for Learners Licence Online
- Go to the nearest driving licensing testing centre (DLTC) to book a test date and confirm the booking.
- Go along with the required documents as stated above.
- All Gauteng residents should apply online for their learner’s licence: https://online.natis.gov.za/#/
- Complete the Application for learner’s licence form (LL1), which is available at the DLTC. If you are 65 years or older, you must also complete a Medical certificate form (MC), which is also available at the DLTC.
- You will go for an eye test at the testing centre or you may have an eye test performed by a qualified optometrist and submit the form at the testing centre.
- Before you write the learner’s licence test, you must study road signs, motor vehicle controls and road rules to have a basic knowledge of a motor vehicle and road signs.
- On the day of the test you must submit the following:
- the booking receipt
- your ID.
- If you pass the test you must pay the issue fee.
How Long Does it Take to Get Learners Licence?
The learner’s licence is issued on the same day if you passed and paid the relevant fee.
How Much is Learner’s Licence?
You might want to know the cost of getting a learners licence. To know the exact cost, please contact your local licensing office for the cost.
Forms to complete
- Application for a learner’s licence form (LL1)
- An applicant over 65 years of age or older requires a Medical certificate form (MC)
The application forms for learners licence are available online and in the selected driving licence testing centres. These centres are; the city of Johannesburg, the city of Tshwane, the city of Cape Town, Nelson Mandela Bay, Eastern Cape municipalities, KwaZulu-Natal municipalities, Free State municipalities, Limpopo municipalities, Mpumalanga municipalities, North West municipalities, North Cape municipalities, and Western Cape municipalities. Each one of these centres has a contact that is available for use in case of any inquiries.
eNaTIS Online System
The government, through the electronic national administration traffic information system (eNaTIS) has made it possible for prospective drivers to book learners test online. The system provides the online learners’ test for potential drivers. If you wish to make learners licence booking, you can easily do so at the comfort of your home, through the eNaTIS online system.
Other services that the eNaTIS online system offers include the application for driving licence, application for notification of change of vehicle ownership, application for registration and licencing of motor vehicles. The website also keeps the public updated on matters relating to the national traffic.
For instance, the most recent update is the learners’ licence booking and potential drivers to benefit from mobile testing. The website also contains contacts of the authorities whom you can contact in case of any queries.