In this guide, I will be sharing with you the step by step process of applying for South African passport online.
The process of applying for an international passport has been simplified by the Department of Home Affairs. Following the launching of the eHomeAffairs, South African born citizen can now apply for passport as well as Smart ID Card online.
The only things that you need to apply for South African passport online are;
- Submit applications online
- Upload supporting documents
- Make online payments
- And schedule a booking to visit a Home Affairs enabled Bank offices
Applicants will have to visit a Home Affairs branch to capture and verify their biometric details (photos, fingerprints and signature). No appointment/booking is required to visit any Home Affairs office.
Having said that, let’s take you through the whole process of applying for a South African Passport online.
How to Apply for South African Passport Online
The process stated below is applicable to both first-time applicants and passport renewal.
- Simply go to the eHomeAffairs website and register.
- Create a profile
- Answer the security questions
- Create a password
- Capture the OTP (one-time pin) sent to your cellphone
- Finally, attach a copy of your ID
Making the Payment
- Enter your bank account details on the eHomeAffairs site.
- You will then be required to log in to your internet banking to authorise the payment.
- Log in to your internet banking account: go to the “My Bills” option under “Payments” to initiate the payment instruction.
- Add the Department of Home Affairs as a beneficiary, and a payment instruction will appear under “My Bills”.
- Finally, enter your reference number and approve the R400 payment to the Department of Home Affairs.
Record Your Biometrics
Option 1: Home Affairs Branch
- Once the Department of Home Affairs has registered your payment you will be eligible to proceed with your biometrics data – two thumbprints, a photo and your signature.
- You do not need to make an appointment at Home Affairs. Simply go to your local branch to have your biometrics done.
- You will need to take your ID book with you to the Home Affairs branch.
Option 2: Home Affairs-Equipped Bank Branch
- Cape Town, Johannesburg and Pretoria residents can make an appointment for their biometrics at their local bank branch once their payment has been registered (see below).
- You will be given a choice of time slots. Once you’ve selected a time slot, you will be sent a confirmation via SMS and email.
- Take your ID book and confirmation email or SMS with you when going to your local bank branch.
Wait for an SMS or email
You will receive a notification that your passport is ready for collection at the Home Affairs or bank branch where your biometrics was captured, after approximately 10 days.
Cost of South African Passport
|First Application for Tourist Passport||R400|
|Renewal (must bring old passport)||R400|
South African Passport Renewal Requirements
Below are the basic requirements for South African passport renewal. Importantly, you can start the whole renewal process online.
- A copy of your ID
- Passport fee – R400
- Your old passport
South African Passport Processing Time
It will take about 7-21 working days to process the application and issue the passport. The South African tourist passport is valid for 10 years.
Biometrics Equipped Bank Branches
Residents of Cape Town, Johannesburg and Pretoria also have the option of capturing, verifying their biometric and collecting their passport at specific ABSA, FNB, Standard Bank or Nedbank branches.
|ABSA Centurion Lifestyle||Centurion||Centurion Lifestyle, c/o Old Johannesburg Road and Lenchen Ave|
|Absa Tower North||Johannesburg||180 Commissioner Street, Johannesburg|
|Absa Ghandi Square||Johannesburg||Ghandi Square, Johannesburg|
|FNB President Street West||Johannesburg||47 Pixley Ka Isaka Seme Street, Johannesburg, 2000|
|FNB Merchant Place, Rivonia||Johannesburg||4 Merchant Place, Cnr Rivonia Road and Fredman Drive|
|FNB Centurion Lifestyle||Centurion||Old Johannesburg Road and Lenchen Ave|
|FNB Lynwood (The Grove Mall)||Pretoria||The Grove Mall, Lynnwood Rd, Pretoria, 0081|
|Standard Bank Centurion||Centurion||Standard Bank Building, 1263 Embankment Rd|
|Standard Bank Killarney, Rosebank||Johannesburg||Killarney Mall, c/o Riveria Road and Killarney Ave|
|Standard Bank Canal Walk||Cape Town||Shop 599LL, Canal Walk Shopping Centre, Century City Dr|
|Nedbank Lakeside Mall||Benoni||Shop D6, Deck Level, Lakeside Mall, Tom Jones Street, Benoni, 1501|
|Nedbank Sandown||Johannesburg||135 Rivonia Road (c/o Rivonia and Maude Street)|
|Nedbank Arcadia||Pretoria||Nedbank Plaza, 175 Steve Road, Arcadia, Pretoria, 0082|