Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for PPS Insurance Company Ltd Recruitment 2023/2024.
PPS Insurance Company Ltd is a reputable firm in South Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the following position below:
Job Title: Senior Underwriter
This role reports to the Executive Underwriter. The Senior Life Underwriter is responsible for underwriting life, disability, critical illness, sickness and permanent incapacity cover within agreed underwriting authority limits. The incumbent will deal with technical and complex underwriting queries and/or complaints providing an excellent service offering. A close relationship with Research & Development to support interdepartmental and wider organisational goals.
Duties & Responsibilities
Main duties and responsibilities:
Process optimization and efficiencies
- The successful candidate will be responsible for underwriting life, disability, critical illness, sickness and permanent incapacity cover within agreed underwriting authority limits.
- To underwrite cases within the agreed service level agreements.
- Candidate must be willing to work under pressure and within agreed service levels.
- Responsible for achieving and maintaining standards in underwriting Life
- Conduct regular audits on underwriting department and ensure standards are maintained
- Provide constructive feedback to underwriting manager/underwriter regarding matters arising
- Assess and authorise cases specific underwriting cases.
- Responsible for financial underwriting to ensure accurate financial underwriting decisions.
- Participation in projects to improve departmental service-owning your role in the project and completing tasks as required by providing input.
Risk and Compliance
- Adhere to internal SLA’s to ensure operational efficiency and achievement of agreed customer service standards.
- Proficient in the assessment and management of underwriting decisions.
- Must understand the underwriting environment and general protocols and processes.
- Ensure adherence to regulatory and compliance requirements.
People and Culture
- Checking and Authorization of underwriting decisions in terms of published delegation of authority.
- Collaboration with relevant stakeholders: Research & Development, Member Services and Intermediary Services.
- Deal with Arbitration and Ombudsman cases and collaborate with other stakeholder during the Complaints process.
- Contribute and assist to review processes and protocols where required to assist in PPS’ delivery of quality underwriting decisions.
- Forge strong working relationships with stakeholders.
- Provide guidance and support to junior underwriters.
- Empower team members with transfer of knowledge, be the Underwriting Team SME.
- Ensure that own knowledge is kept abreast with industry & regulatory information andchanges through various internal and external information sources.Provide technical information and support.
Desired Experience & Qualification
- Matric (Grade 12)
- Medical degree or equivalent.
- 6+ years underwriting experience in long term insurance
- 4 to 5 years Insurance industry experience
Knowledge and Skills:
- Sound Medical and Life Assurance knowledge
- Proficient in the assessment and management of underwriting decisions
- Must understand the underwriting environment and general protocols and processes
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal
- Business writing skills
- Negotiation, analytical and numerical skills
- Good computer knowledge – MS Outlook, Excel and Word are necessary
- Have a skill set that includes good levels of communication (both written & verbal up to senior and executive level),
- Must use underwriting initiative and discretion in decision making
- Mature, disciplined and driven
- Able to work independently as well as being a good team player
- Deadline/target-driven: willing and able to work under pressure and within agreed service levels
- Logical and analytical
- Planning and organising
- Attention to detail
- Client centricity
- Building and maintaining relationships
Package & Remuneration
How to Apply
Interested applicants should kindly CLICK HERE to apply.