Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) Bursaries 2023
Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) Bursaries 2023. The entire application details for the Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) Bursaries can be accessed below.
Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) Bursaries
The Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) invites students to apply for Bursaries Programme 2023 academic year.
The GCRA bursary will be awarded to students residing in Gauteng, for Undergraduate and Postgraduate studies in ANY field.
The bursary will provide cover for the following expenses: registration fees, tuition fees, accommodation in residence (to a maximum value of R65 000) or off-campus/ private accommodation (to a maximum value of R47 000), books, laptop, and a living allowance for off-campus/ private accommodation.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted within 3 to 4 weeks after the application closing date – if you do not receive any feedback 4 weeks after the closing date, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must be between 18 and 35 years old
- You must reside within the Gauteng province
- You must have completed Matric
- You must have been accepted/ registered to study towards an Undergraduate or Postgraduate qualification, in 2023
- You must have been accepted to study at an accredited and registered Post School Education and Training institution in South Africa (this includes public Higher Education Institutions, private Higher Education Institutions, Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) colleges, private colleges, Community Education and Training colleges, and skills development providers)
Students who meet either of the following 3 criteria will automatically qualify for the bursary (but they must still submit an application):
- Top achievers at a Gauteng-based school
- Top 3 learners from no-fee paying Gauteng-based schools (find the list of no-fee paying schools in Gauteng)
- Top 3 learners from Learners with Special Education Needs (LSEN) Gauteng-based school
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online at GCRA Bursary Application 2023
Applicants will be required to Register an account before they can Login and apply.
The application process will include the following steps:
Step 1: Personal Profile, including personal information, address and contact information, Matric final results and details, and parent or guardian details.
Step 2: tertiary institution results and details, information about any other sponsors, uploading supporting documentation, and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
If you are unsure which type of bursary to apply for, please note the following:
- New Intake means you applying to the GCRA bursary for the first time
- Renewal means you were funded by the GCRA bursary in the previous year, and you are now reapplying
- Reinstatement means your bursary was suspended and you have now satisfied the conditions to have your bursary reinstated
- Top Achievers means you are one of the top Achiever within Gauteng
- Top 3 Achiever means you attended a no-fee-paying school
- Top 3 in LSEN (learners with special educational needs) Schools
- MEC/HOD Discretion means the MEC/HOD advised you to apply for a bursary
- Veteran Discretion means you are a child of a Military Veteran
- Financial Assistance means you have finance, but require assistance
- Top Ups mean you have an existing bursary but need additional funding
If you need help with the bursary application process, please download the GCRA Bursary Application Guidelines (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Most recent academic record, if currently studying (certified copy)
- Proof of registration or acceptance at a recognized PSET institution/ institution of higher learning (on the institutions letterhead)
- Proof of address in Gauteng (Water and Electricity bill/ stamped ward councilors letter/ letter from traditional authority if in a rural area)
- A motivational letter stating why you should be awarded the bursary (maximum 2 pages) (read our tips on how to write a motivational letter for your bursary application)
- Disability or medical report if disabled
- Parents or guardians’ proof of income (latest payslips if employed/ affidavit if unemployed)(certified copy)
- Proof of any other bursaries you are currently receiving, if applicable
Note: ensure that your documents are labeled correctly (example: “ID copy” for the copy of your Identity Document), saved in pdf format, and NOT bigger than 2MB each.
- If you are having trouble accessing the GCRA portal, please check your internet connection or try another browser (Chrome, Safari, or Internet Explorer).
- Be sure to take note of your login details (after you receive an SMS to confirm your registration on the GCRA system).
- Applicants may start their application, save and continue it at a later stage, but please note that you must “submit” your application before the closing date.
- If you were previously funded by GCRA for your undergraduate studies, and you are now applying for funding for your postgraduate studies, you will need to reapply as it is a new qualification (your details may be on the system still and you will need to update them).
- Candidates who already hold another bursary may apply, if they need top-up funding – please indicate this on your application.
- If your application was declined and you would like to appeal, you may do so by emailing [email protected]
- GCRA bursary funds are paid directly to the institution where successful candidates are studying, however, certain funds (laptop and book allowance) may be paid directly to students. Living allowances will also be paid directly to students.
- Candidates who require assistive devices for their studies may email [email protected] for further details.
Application Deadline: 31st March 2023