Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the Aquarium of the Pacific African American Scholar Programme 2022. The full application details for the Aquarium of the Pacific African American Scholar Programme can be accessed below.
Aquarium of the Pacific African American Scholar Programme
Applications are open for the Aquarium of the Pacific African American Scholar Programme 2022. The programme provides financial support and community engagement to talented African American students pursuing marine science fields of study related to the work of the Aquarium.
Through the award and engagement experience, the Aquarium hopes to lower barriers by providing both financial support for academic endeavors and community support through networking opportunities. This programme seeks to provide continued involvement in fields related to the Aquarium for deserving African American students to bring diverse minds to solving the issues facing our planet and its inhabitants.
Since 2021, the Aquarium has named 21 recipients of this scholarship. They have participated in various Aquarium programmes, including writing for the member magazine, serving as judges in a high school film festival, creating films for early childhood education partners, and serving as “Ask a Scientist” at Aquarium events and through social media. The scholars also attend a fall symposium to strengthen their connection to the Aquarium and to each other. Symposium activities usually include opportunities to meet with Aquarium staff members, hear from a panel of STEM professionals, and connect with high school students from the Long Beach Unified School District.
- Awards of $10,000 will be paid out in two incremental installments. Additional details will be communicated during the time of award notification.
- Open to California residents of any age with African American heritage with proof of acceptance or enrollment in an accredited university, community college, or trade school with a field of study in aquarium-related fields.
- Aquarium of the Pacific paid employees, Board members, and their immediate families are not eligible. Volunteers and their immediate families are eligible to apply.
Applicants must register an account via the application portal and submit the required materials prior to the deadline.
- Proof of application, acceptance, or enrollment in an accredited university, community college, or trade school with a field of study related to the aquarium including ocean education, public communication, animal science, water quality, and conservation.
- For graduating high school seniors, proof of acceptance or enrollment is required before initial fund disbursement.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Completed Aquarium photo release and W9 forms.
- African American Scholar Essay – 500-750 words
How to Apply
Interested applicants should CLICK HERE to apply.
For more information, visit African American Scholar Programme.